Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Read

Ever since i was in elementary school reading has always provided a source of unique happiness for me. To open a book and be pulled into a world new and different, unlike yours would ever be is something that i love.

Not many understand my love of books, the only one i can think of who has come close is my sister, but even she has a different way of loving and enjoying books.
When i purchase a book i almost always research it before hand. There have been very few occasions that i have randomly bought a book and liked it well enough to keep it. The reason i research my books is because i have a peculiar taste in books. I have to really look to find something that i think i might like. It's difficult to explain so I'm not going to try. I research because when i buy a book, i mean to keep it. My mother says just go to the library and save money, but that's not the point. I buy a book, read it, and if i enjoy it then i keep it, and read it over and over again. I don't read and toss. That's just silly. The point of the book is that someone has taken the time to create these characters, create the world they live in and create a story for them or in other words, create their life. and when i enjoy an author's creation i want to visit it over and over again. There are so many stories that i read when i was younger that i now wish i remembered the titles because i want to reread it. I went through a phase in middle school and freshman year of high school where i almost literally went through a book a day. That was my slightly anti-social period.
Some people say that reading is an escapism and while i agree that in a radical way it can be, its still something i enjoy immensely. Life is never always going the way you want it to be going so at times it is good to take a break and imagine what it would be like in a different life, a different world.
I'm not saying that i hate my life or any of that nonsense. I recognize what i have been blessed with and am grateful for it.

My only problem with reading it that i am picky, and that i go through non-reading phases. I'm picky in that if i don't like the way a book is going, then i stop. I go through non-reading phases because sometimes i'm reluctant to read even though i love it. There's just this feeling inside me that is yearning to read but just doesn't want to at the time. These aren't good problems to have because i have about twenty books and counting that i have either read half way through and stopped or just haven't read yet. It's quite frustrating. But it's actually really easy for me to break the non-reading phases, i just have to pick up a book and start reading. But then i generally won't stop until i finish the book so that also creates a problem. Maybe i go through the phases because i know that i probably wouldn't get anything done otherwise...
Which is probably true.

No comments: